Wednesday, September 6

What is it about those Hispanic kids?

First of all, let me just say I bet you got the wrong idea when you read my title. There will be nothing derogatory in this post, I promise!

The kids I'm talking about are Dora the Explorer and her cousin Diego, who has his own show.


They're cute, have interesting characters and are very educational. I'm sure Dora is responsible for my 21 month old's ability to correctly count to 10. While both shows can become very tiring to me (I watch with her often and ask her questions, etc. to make it more interactive) Ashleigh never gets tired of them. She asks to watch them all the time and has quite a fit when I tell her no. And I tell her no quite a bit because I don't want her to watch tv all the time. (And sometimes there are shows Mommy wants to watch. Like House and Nip/Tuck, for example.)

What the whole point of this is, I wonder how Nick Jr. came across something that is so addictive to little ones. And I mean addictive like crack or something. Not that I'm complaining--I can use that to my advantage when necessary. But I'm afraid it's not going to be too long before telling Ashleigh that Dora and Diego have went to sleep isn't going to cut it!

I suppose I should just count my blessings that she isn't ga-ga over something that irritates me to death. And remind myself not to go too overboard on the "Dora" stuff for her birthday and Christmas because she probably won't even like them this time next year...

{Totally unrelated side note}
Less than a week until we know if we'll be having a boy or girl!! I'm really excited because I can't stand NOT knowing, but dread it just a little because that will mean no excuses for not getting in gear and cleaning out that room for the nursery. Ugh...

3 comments:

Kelley said...

Seems like all the little kiddos out there are addicted to Dora...I think they must put some subliminal things in there that make them obsessed with the show. What else could it be? :) At least it isn't Barney or anything like that...a cute little Mexican girl you can handle!

Boy or girl, boy or girl, boy or girl...can't wait to find out!

Greg - Cowboy in the Jungle said...

I'm not sure what makes them so appealing but my 4yr old is HOOKED!

Kim :) said...

To funny! Brandon LOVES Dora and Diego. Loves them!

Kelsey was nuts over Barney. Oi, I hated that purple dinosaur. But I have since had to give major credit to him for teaching Kelsey so many things. Even though this cartoons drive us parents insane at times they are apparently teaching our little ones something!