Thursday, June 23

Why is Healthy so Hard?

Why oh why? Why don't I love healthy stuff like broccoli and carrots? Why don't I dislike things that are "too sweet"? Why don't I feel incomplete unless I work out at least an hour a day?

Because let me tell you, my life would be SOOOO much easier if all that were true. But, the reality is that I have to make myself eat the healthy vegetables. (I LOVE potatoes, corn, peas...all the starchy stuff). I think I could live off sweets. Really I do. And when people say something is too sweet, I wonder how that could even be possible. TOO sweet? I think not...

I do like water. That's a plus. I also love sweet tea and Dr. Pepper. (I will drink diet Dr. Pepper, but you CAN tell the difference.)

I know all the things a person is SUPPOSED to do to lose weight and keep it off. I don't really believe in gimmicks. I know that healthy eating and exercise are the only way to go. So why can't I DO it?

I think I even have good, solid reasons to lose weight. Maybe if I list them, I'll be a little more motivated.

1. I want to be healthy. Being overweight puts me at higher risk for diabetes, heart disease, stroke, cancer and who knows what else! I'd like to avoid all that.

2. I want to be comfortable in my own skin, and I'm not. Being comfortable in my clothes would be a plus too! Getting too small for all my clothes and having to buy new ones would be awesome.

3. I want to set a good example for my daughter. I really don't want her to struggle with her weight her entire life as I have. And the odds are stacked against her, ESPECIALLY if I don't set a healthy example for her.

4. When my daughter gets older, I want to feel like (and be comfortable) going with her on class field trips, to the water park, etc. I also don't want to be the "fat mom." I know I won't be the "hot mom" but average is fine with me!

5. I just want to feel good and improve my self image. I know that having a child means you'll be chronically tired for oh, about 18 years at least, BUT I want to have all the energy in the world to play with my child. And my image of myself right now is pretty low. I feel all fat and ugly and uncomfortable and just don't understand how my husband could be attracted to me. (Miraculously, he is.)

Hmmm.....now that I've listed them, I might actually print a list to put up at home on the fridge or something like that. Maybe that will remind me that getting to a healthy body weight is better than that [insert yummy but unhealthy food choice here] will ever be.

Any motivational suggestions would be appreciated.

3 comments:

Kelley said...

Oh girl...it IS hard to be healthy isn't it!!!?

I knew we were so alike...that whole super sweet tooth thing just solidifies it :) Nothing, absolutely nothing, is TOO SWEET. Hello!!!

I hope that writing those things down helps you to stick to a healthy lifestyle. I'm proud of you for working out last night...just keep after it. You can come walk with me and Kim three times a week :)

What can I do for you online to help you???

Jackie said...

Hmmm....I'll have to think about that online motivation, seems like there ought to be something! You're so sweet. I do think I'm going to keep a log of my exercise and maybe give myself some sort of reward. Like if I work out at least 5 days a week for a month, I'll get a new printer for our computer. (The printer I want is pretty inexpensive!)

I already feel a little better today after my short little workout last night, so maybe that will motivate me!

Kim :) said...

How did you get in my thoughts and put them here on your blog???? WOW! after reading what you said I felt like I had wrote your entry today. We can do this! Just reminding our self on a meal by meal basis that we should choice this over that. And the exercise program that we both have started on will be great for us! GOOO US!! :)

I sure would love if you were able to walk with Kelley and I three times a week also! How great would that be???

The idea of rewarding yourself is great! That is always good motivation for me as well. You will have the printer before you know it!