Tuesday, January 24

Weekend of Fear

OK, maybe that title is a bit overdramatic. But I had two BIG scares this weekend.

Saturday afternoon, Ashleigh fell. Not a normal fall and I'm not sure exactly WHAT she did to manage this, but she fell and the side of her head smacked the corner of the door jamb. She was only a few feet from me and it sounded like a baseball bat hitting a major league homerun. She was screaming and crying, understandably-and had a huge knot on her head! My panicky side wanted to rush her to the ER for CAT scans, MRI and whatever others tests were needed to make sure she didn't have a serious brain injury that would result in death. My practical side knew that I just needed to keep her awake and that if she was alert and acting normally and didn't throw up, there was really no reason to worry. But I had to make a quick trip to the store and took her with me. As soon as I had a good signal on my cell phone I was calling my cousin (an RN) and my best mommy friend to get their take on it. I just kept thinking of every episode of every television show I've ever seen where someone falls or gets hit in the head and then dies-either immediately or a few days later. She is just fine, although after lying awake for 15 minutes, straining to hear her every breath Saturday night after I went to bed, I just put her in our bed.

Sunday night, Kenneth and I both got scared. By this:

Doesn't look scary, does it? Well let me tell you, when you are in the twilight of sleep about 11pm and one end of a high shelf falls and two piggy banks bounce off walls and furniture, ending with the death of one of them, it IS scary, trust me! It sounded kinda like our 14 pound cat pulled the blinds off the window and he and the blinds landed in a precariously balanced display of cookware and china. OR that some madman had smashed the nursery window and was coming in to kidnap our precious daughter. Keep in mind this was all amplified by the baby monitor, so it was kinda like surround sound.

We jumped from the bed, ran to her room and I flipped on the light to find her sound asleep. While Kenneth investigated the house, I plucked her up and put her in our bed. Again. I'm telling you, I thought my heart would pound out of my chest and I needed her there with me. Kenneth didn't even give me a funny look!

On a totally different note, I decorated this little canvas tote (thanks, Sis!) for Ashleigh's little everyday diaper bag:

I think it turned out alright....

Oh, and I must share this craziness:

Ashleigh found one of my socks and was determined to put it on. I think Kenneth finally helped her out with it. That silly little goose! She tried to put one of her socks on ME last night. And she tries to feed me her food sometimes. She is such a sweetie-pie.

OK.

I'll quit now... : )

3 comments:

Kelley said...

Ahhhhhhh...there you are! I was beginning to worry!

Sorry to hear about your scary episodes! The falling piggy banks, amplified by the baby moniter, waking you from sleep must have been awful! I totally sympathize! And the falling and hitting the head...poor poor Ashleigh!

Love the little canvas bag! Very cute!!!

Cory said...

I love what you did with the bag. I was wondering how you would end up decorating it!

Kim :) said...

Glad to see your post today!

WOW, those were very big scares indeed! I would have reacted the way you did when Ashleigh hit her head so hard!

Love the little canvas bag!

What is it about socks that kids like so much? Both of my children loved playing with socks also, Brandon still will go get an extra pair to put on his hands a lot of time. Crazy little thing!