Wednesday, November 16

Surgery Details

Well, I didn't sleep well the night before, and felt like I was going to throw up all the way to Tupelo. I sat in the backseat with Ashleigh and a couple of times she reached out and grabbed my hand. It was all I could do not to tell Kenneth to just turn around and go home, eye gunk wasn't that bad.

We arrived at 6:30 and didn't wait long to be called back. Then people were in and out of the tiny room, cramped with me, Ashleigh, Kenneth, my parents, and a student nurse that was going to follow/observe Ashleigh through her procedure. Everyone was so nice and competent. Plus I just knew I had to push my fears aside, so I was OK. When the nurse came to get Ashleigh, she went to her, ready to go see what was past that curtain. If she had cried, I would have lost it, big time. Maybe she knew she had to be a big girl for Mommy.

We went to another waiting room and chatted for about 5 minutes and a nurse came in and told us everything went well, Ashleigh was in recovery and Dr. Wesson would be in to talk to us in a minute. He took us to another room and told us that she was only under the gas for 3-4 minutes, that she did great, the amount of blockage was average and possible side effects, etc. He said since we live so far away and I work even further away, that if she was doing well next week, just call in and we wouldn't have to do a post-op visit. By the time we got back to the waiting room, a nurse came to tell us she was awake to follow her.

It was hard not to run.

Then there Ashleigh was, smiling and happy, in the arms of a nurse who wanted to be cute and not give her immediately to me. (She is lucky she didn't get smacked, but I was a little over-anxious, I suppose) We went to yet another little area with rocking chairs where I just loved and kissed on her and gave her something to drink. When she saw her cup, she threw her pacifier! I finally let everyone else hold her a bit. I knew I'd have her all day long.

We were headed home by about 7:40. I was so happy. Ashleigh was a delight all day long. No crankiness, none of the side effects, just happy and hungry and ready to play, play, play. I have a few photos, I'll try to post them tomorrow.

In other news: we either have to rewire our oven or get a new one. BLAH! Both our toilets are leaking in one way or another. (Clean water, not the-ahem-"used" stuff) We don't have any money for anything. But you know what? It's okay. We are blessed in all the ways that matter and everything else will fall into place. It always does.

6 comments:

Kelley said...

Wonderful recount of the experience. I'm glad it went so incredibly well. yay! And you, mom, did very good. Such a brave girl!!!

Sorry to hear about the oven and toilets. Why does it seem like we can never get ahead???

Kim :) said...

It doesn't sound like things could have gone any better or quicker! That is wonderful.

ugh. Sorry to hear about the things that are needing repairs or replaced! It seems like things like this always come up when we don't have the money to fix it. But, keep the positive outlook! that is a good way to make it threw it all.

YankeeAmanda said...

Oh I'm so glad! I'd have wanted to slap that nurse too, wanting to keep Ashleigh instead of handing her over!!!

I hate that about the house stuff. Makes me thankful for a moment that I rent, so if any of that stuff breaks, all I have to do is call!

Greg - Cowboy in the Jungle said...

Glad to hear!

Anonymous said...

Eat cold cuts and use the neighbor's bathroom ~ life is good as your little girl is all right!!!

Cory said...

Glad Ashleigh was a good girl for the doctor and nurses, although that one should certainly have been slapped, but that is just me....
Sorry to hear about the broke stuff, makes me wonder why I want to own a house.....