Thursday, July 21

Battle of the Wills

Well, last night I'd finally had enough.
I stood my ground and I won the battle.
I will win the war.

I'm battling a 7 month old, but considering she came from TWO stubborn parents, I know it won't be easy. But I've had alot more practice being stubborn than she has, so I do have an advantage.

We've started having a little trouble with her going to bed at night. She did so well for so long, I was spoiled, I'll admit that. Now she's a little older and doesn't want to go to sleep, because she might miss something. Or if she does go to sleep, she wants us to be holding her or laying down with her. Sweet, but not going to happen. It's different if she's sick or something. But she's not.

Last night as I put her in her crib, she started crying. And flung her pacifier across the room. I tried to calm her, then gave her another pacy. She tossed it as well. OK. That's it. I told her that I loved her, but she WAS going to sleep. In her bed. All by herself. I turned on a little light-up musical crib toy and left. She was MAD. Fussing and crying. I put her bottle in the fridge and went into the living room to fold laundry. Kenneth looked at me funny and I told him she was just going to have to cry. I wish I had a picture of the look on his face! I told him that she was getting into this habit and I wasn't having it. When she started crying "Dada" it really got to him. I did go in there, but I did NOT pick her up. I just soothed her. And turned on the other crib toy. She fussed awhile longer, but went on to sleep.

And you know what? She was still thrilled to see me this morning and loved me just as much.

I just don't think you do a child any favors by spoiling them. Don't get me wrong, it WAS hard, but not as hard as I thought. I'm more than willing to do it over, because my child WILL have a healthy bedtime and sleep habits.

On a happier note, she "got" the sippy cup last night. The soft ones, she'll chew on and liquid comes out. But I gave her a hard one last night and she figured out how to get the drink to come out. I was so happy. It doesn't take much, does it, LOL!

I'll try to make a "non-Ashleigh" post later today.

3 comments:

Cory said...

Congrats on the sippy cup!!!!!!

Kelley said...

Love this recount of you "winning the battle"...I know it must be hard to resist when she's crying like that. But if you stay consistant, you will definitely win the war. And yay for the sippy cup!!!

Kim :) said...

You go girl!! That is great that you didn't cave in, because believe me.. from experience i know that if you do they continue to expect it and will get use to things. You made the right decision! And your right, she WILL still love you just as much in the morning.