Tuesday, September 27

My Shameful Secret

Well, it was, but now I'll share it with the world.

For four nights straight, Ashleigh wouldn't go to sleep. Not until 10 or 11pm anyway. That's just too late for a 9 month old AND her Mommy. I think (knock on wood) we have that issue resolved. She was tucked in without incident by 8pm last night.

But here's what I'm ashamed of: I totally lost my patience and got incredibly ticked off. I, the Mommy who usually has unending patience for her little angel, was just pissed about the whole situation. Don't worry, I didn't take it out on her in any way, but I'm sure she picked up my vibes. She took it out on me, though--I have the bruises to show it. She was violently opposed to bedtime and showed it by kicking and flailing about. OUCH!!!

Kenneth looked at me like I was an alien. I tried to explain to him Sunday night that after Ashleigh goes to sleep is my time. That's when I can relax and unwind, do anything I want, being pretty sure I won't be interrupted. And yes, Kenneth plays with her at night and will watch her while I do stuff, but it's just not the same. I can't go "off-duty" until she's tucked into her baby bed.

Each night, after she was FINALLY in bed, asleep, I looked at her sweet little face and felt so incredibly guilty. How could I ever be frustrated with this perfect little gift from God? Well, yesterday, I realized the answer is simple: I'm human. I need a little time for myself every day in order to keep my sanity and be the best Mom and Wife I can be. And that's OK.

So after explaining to my mother-in-law that Ashleigh taking a nap between 4&5pm every day is a BAD idea, I think we're back on track. Last night I played with Ashleigh for about 2 hours and we had the best time. Then I gave her a bath and put her to bed.

And all is well with the world.

4 comments:

Kelley said...

I'm sooo glad bedtime went better last night. It seems that the lack of a 4:00 nap did the trick, just as you thought it would! Good. And yes, you need that time to unwind and rejuvenate yourself. Good for you!!!!

Kim :) said...

Glad to hear that you have figured out things at bed time. The late nap time is indeed a bad idea. And you are most indeed human! You will learn that you will get aggravated with your little angel, but that isn't a bad thing. We ALL go threw it! She will love you the same no matter what.

Danielle said...

Everyone needs some ME time! Glad you figured it all out...

Sometimes these word verification things are freaky. Mine now is: godlyd

Which read in my head as God Lied. Is it trying to tell me something?

Anonymous said...

Got to take care of YOU first before you can take care of the WORLD! Afternoon nap out is a must. Glad it worked.